Thursday 28 January 2016

Finished 3D Model - Mechanical Marvel

This is my final finished 3D model of my robot design, luckily the creation of my robot was relatively easy. I was hopeful of how well my original 2D design was going to translate into a 3D model. 
I began with a simple sphere in Maya and then I continued to intrude the sphere to create the eye of my robot. I then proceeded to trim the top and bottom of my robot to give it a squarer more mechanical look to my robot while keeping its more circular feel.
My next step was to add square holders for the visor that I decided to incorporate into my model. My robot wasn't originally meant to include a visor but I felt that it looked too simple and bland so i added one to give it a bit of variety and add a bit more character. The problem with this was that it didn't keep the sleeker look to the robot with the blockier looking visor.  
I took away the visor and concentrated on the base model to make it look smoother and sleeker, so that it looked more futuristic and cleaner looking robot. I also added a top part that was supposed to represent a solar panel to give my robot power and a bottom part which was intended to house the thrusters for the robot.
I then put the visors back into the model and curved them so they look more natural and uniform in comparison to the rest of the robot. After making it look smoother I much preferred the look of my robot after the addition. 
After placing my visor there I modelled the shutters that eject from my visor to cover the eye of my robot. I then had to fully animate the shutters closing so that, the problem this caused was the fact i had to hollow out the visor to make it look correct when the shutter ejects.
I added the back panels to make the robot look more futuristic, I feel it really worked well for the look of my robot.

I am very happy with my final look of my 3D model, it is looking fairly simple but I feel like the small editions have gave it characteristic that can hopefully be expanded upon when I texture the model. One thing I don't like is how clean the look of my robot is, whereas my original idea is that I was going to create a very rustic and old looking robot.  
This is my final rendered animation, I animated a protective shutter closing over my robots eye. I put my model in a ambient occlusion light box to give it the correct lighting to show off my animation and model. I tired to make my animation as smooth as possible, I ended up using over 70 frames to give it the best look

No comments:

Post a Comment